Licensing and Technology Transactions
Today more than ever, technology and technological advancements drive global economies. Our cross-border licensing & technology transactions team spans our New York, Paris, and Seoul offices, and regularly assists clients in connection with a wide range of intellectual property and technology-related projects and contracts.
Our team has more than a decade of experience advising companies at all stages of growth, including software developers and vendors, service providers, OEM, internet and e-commerce operators, corporate accounts, financial institutions, and members of other industries through the full cycle of technology projects implementation in both domestic and international contexts. We represent clients in developing, commercializing, and transferring intellectual property rights, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property assets. Our Paris-based team has been recognized in Legal 500 for IT, Telecoms, and the Internet in France.
We have extensive experience in the following fields:
IT & Technology Services, including:
- Software licensing and integration agreements (including implementation agreement negotiation and project management), computing development, maintenance, and services agreements
- Cloud computing, SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, and other as-a-service solutions and platforms
- Sourcing and outsourcing agreements negotiation and implementation
Internet & e-Commerce, including:
- Digital media, digital content and rights management, online distribution, digital advertising, social media, content aggregation, traffic management, and ad-tech
- Big data analytics, platforms, and services, algorithm development and protection, and strategic data management and regulatory constraints advice
- e-Commerce, marketplaces, e-Payment, and fintech licensing and services agreements
- Cybersecurity processes definition and implementation, cybercrime investigation management and defense
Telecoms, Infrastructure, and Industrial Projects, including:
- Telecom operator and network interconnection agreements, MVNO agreements, and satellite telecommunications agreements
- Turn-key project agreements to establish mobile telecommunication systems with numerous foreign governments and various service providers
- Technology transfer agreements in the areas of telecommunication transmitting equipment, mobile communication devices, smartphone technology, and biotechnology equipment and products
- Joint ventures, distribution agreements, and other international or multi-state distribution arrangements
Intellectual Property Rights, including:
- Patent and technology license agreements
- Intellectual property acquisitions and asset sales
- OEM and reseller agreements
- Licensing and distribution agreements for digital media content and data and a wide range of consumer products
Cohen & Gresser's Paris office has been recognized in The Legal 500’s 2019 Europe, Middle East, and Africa guide for its work in seven separate practice areas: Compliance, Commercial Litigation, Employment, Stock Market Litigation, Tax, White Collar Crime, and IT, Telecoms and the Internet. Clients note that the team in Paris is “solution driven” and has the “ability to deliver a holistic approach, from providing strategic analysis to delivering concrete action plans and execution,” with “strong technical and interpersonal skills."
Guillaume Seligmann, a partner in Cohen & Gresser's Paris office, has been recognized by Chambers & Partners in its recently released 2019 Europe guide as a leading practitioner in the Information Technology field in France. Chambers’ commentary noted that Guillaume has “true knowledge of IT,” that “he knows the underlying technology very well” and that Guillaume handles domestic and international technology matters, including licensing, e-commerce, cloud services, as well as IT disputes.
Cohen & Gresser has been recognized in Legal 500’s 2018 Europe, Middle East, and Africa guide for its work in France in five separate practice areas: Compliance, Employment, Stock Market Litigation, Tax, and IT, Telecoms and the Internet. Our Paris team is lauded for an "excellent level of service" and for offering "a very good and rare combination of high legal expertise and accurate business understanding."
Guillaume Seligmann, a partner in Cohen & Gresser's Paris office, has been recognized by Chambers & Partners in its 2018 Europe guide as a leading practitioner in the Information Technology field in France. Chambers notes that market sources and clients commented that Guillaume “really understands business and technology, as well as strategy issues” and offers "imaginative and adapted legal or contractual responses to such challenges.”
Dalenys, a fintech company based in France, was recently sold to Natixis for 160 million EUR. Cohen & Gresser's Paris team advised Dalenys throughout the transaction. The following French news outlets covered the story:
C&G's Paris office has been recognized in the 2017 edition of Legal 500’s Europe guide for its work in four separate areas: Mergers & Acquisitions; Employment; IT, Telecoms and the Internet; and Tax.
The firm’s French M&A practice has been recognized by Chambers & Partners in its recently released 2017 Europe guide in the Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market category. Chambers Europe also ranked Paris partner Guillaume Seligmann for TMT: Information Technology in France. Chambers' client commentary described Guillaume as "insightful, competent and efficient.”
Paris Partner Guillaume Seligmann has been ranked by Chambers & Partners in its recently released 2016 Europe guide for TMT: Information Technology in France. Chambers' commentary noted, "Technology partner Guillaume Seligmann of Cohen & Gresser handles IT contract negotiations, software licensing and disputes. Clients value his practical business-focused advice."
We are pleased to announce that Cohen & Gresser's Paris office has been recognized in Legal 500's 2016 France guide for its work in three separate practice areas: Mergers and Acquisitions; Employment; and IT, Telecoms, and the Internet. Legal 500 also noted Cohen & Gresser's growth in Paris over the course of 2015 in its overview of the French legal market.
Legal 500 analyzes the capabilities of law firms across the world. Its rankings highlight "practice area teams who are providing the most cutting edge and innovative advice to corporate counsel."
Cohen & Gresser is pleased to announce the expansion of the firm's technology practice, as partner Guillaume Seligmann and associate Marie Gagey have joined our Paris office. Mr. Seligmann will head the firm's French technology, privacy, and data protection practice. He was previously a partner at Paris firm Cotty Vivant Marchisio & Lauzeral and has been recognized by Legal 500 France and Chambers Europe.