Attorneys in Cohen & Gresser’s fund practice have a wealth of experience advising hedge fund and other alternative asset managers on all aspects of their business. We understand the challenges inherent in each stage of the life cycle of a fund manager and its funds, and we tailor our solutions to each client’s unique needs. Our team has decades of experience in fund regulation, transactions, real estate, litigation, and regulatory compliance, and is led by the former general counsel of a premier diversified UK hedge fund manager. He also advised on the first NYSE hedge fund manager IPO and held several other senior in-house positions in financial services firms in the UK, U.S., and Spain. We are well-versed in complexities that arise in cross-border matters, and work cohesively across practice areas and geographies. Our comprehensive representation includes:
- Design, structure, and formation of funds
- Manager set up, including structure, fee arrangements, staff compensation and employment arrangements
- Supporting transactions entered into by funds, including private credit, real estate and private equity
- Fund counter-party documentation, including prime brokerage and trading documents
- Side letters and negotiations with investors (especially for private-equity style funds)
- Fund regulation, including relating to the EU’s Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) and MiFID II, and the U.S. Securities Act of 1933, the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Investment Company Act of 1940, and the Investment Advisors Act of 1940, among others
- Inside information/MPNI issues in the U.S. and Europe
- Conducting internal investigations
- Defending prosecutions and investigations by both U.S. and UK regulators
- Disputes among partners
- Crafting compliance policies and procedures, both proactively and in response to inquiries from regulators
- Analysis of take-over terms and regulation, covenants and default provisions
Cohen & Gresser announces the expansion of its corporate offering with the appointment of Graeme Bell as Partner and Head of Private Equity in the firm’s London office. Graeme will advise clients on cross-border private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate restructurings. He has extensive experience in emerging markets, particularly in Africa, Russia, Central and Eastern Europe, and the Middle East, often acting for U.S. clients.
London Managing Partner Jeffrey M Bronheim is quoted in Legal Futures regarding the opening of C&G's London office.
Jeffrey M Bronheim is quoted in Funds Europe regarding the regulatory barriers to entry that European investment firms must overcome in order to operate in the U.S. "Among these are procedural controls relating to valuations, illiquid securities, undisclosed fees, conflicts of interest, and insider trading," he said.
The opening of Cohen & Gresser's London office was featured in the following articles:
- "NYC's Cohen & Gresser Launches in London," The American Lawyer
- "Cohen & Gresser Taps Fund Manager GC To Head New Office," Law360.com
- "Cohen & Gresser Launches in London, Hires Bronheim," The Drawdown
Cohen & Gresser announces its continued international expansion with the launch of its London office on June 1, 2018, led by partner Jeffrey M Bronheim. The office, which will be the firm’s fifth location globally and its second in Europe, will serve clients in all aspects of the investment industry, including hedge funds, private equity and venture capital funds, investors, and management companies. It will also focus on transactional work, cross-border litigation, and investigations.
Jeffrey M Bronheim participated in a joint HFM/NASDAQ webinar and discussed this year’s top compliance trends for global hedge funds, including SEC exam trends, CFTC reporting requirement changes, and Treasury rules.