Products Liability, Mass Torts and Consumer Class Actions
C&G’s Products Liability, Mass Torts & Consumer Class Actions group regularly leads the defense of complex, high-stakes litigation. Our attorneys are superb at finding the flaws in a case and getting it dismissed or meaningfully reduced in scope through motion practice, and we are equally skilled at negotiating favorable settlements and developing innovative strategies for alternative dispute resolution where appropriate. And if a case has to be tried – either as a matter of client strategy or because plaintiffs will not accept a reasonable settlement – our brilliant, experienced trial lawyers have an impressive record of guiding clients through the pretrial and trial process and winning trials in courts throughout the United States and overseas.
Whether we are serving as trial counsel, national coordinating counsel, or in another role, our focus is on aligning our interests with those of our clients, resolving cases as efficiently as possible, and reducing our clients’ total exposure.
Products Liability & Mass Torts
- Representing a major university in connection with hundreds of claims of abuse by a physician formerly employed by the University that occurred decades ago, in which plaintiffs’ claims were revived by New York’s Child Victims Act.
- Representing individual family members, owners and former directors of a large pharmaceutical company, in several product liability actions filed by consumers and government authorities in numerous states relating to the production and marketing of certain opioid drugs.
- Represented a leading international cosmetics company in a products liability personal injury action brought in New York Supreme Court alleging insufficient product warning labels and product design defects, among other claims.
Consumer Class Actions
- Defended one of the largest Korean consumer product design and manufacturing companies in a products liability class action alleging breach of warranty, fraud, and violation of state consumer protection laws relating to purported defects in plasma televisions. Matter was dismissed with prejudice.
- Defended one of the world’s largest multinational retailers in a putative class action alleging the retailer distributed, sold, and marketed products containing labels with material misrepresentations. Representation included defeating many pre-trial motions and resolving several discovery disputes.
- Represented a major electronics company in consumer fraud class actions alleging fraud and false advertising claims regarding a laptop computer model, including successfully obtaining a motion to dismiss claims for injunctive relief and reaching an eventual resolution outside of court.
Six C&G attorneys have been recognized by their peers as a “Best Lawyer” in their practice areas:
- Jonathan S. Abernethy – Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Thomas E. Bezanson – Commercial Litigation and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Jason A. Brown – Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Mark S. Cohen – Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Mark Spatz – Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- C. Evan Stewart – Litigation – Securities
Mark S Cohen, Jonathan S Abernethy, Jason Brown, C Evan Stewart, and Thomas E Bezanson were recognized in The Best Lawyers in America‘s 2021 New York listings. Mark, Jonathan, and Jason were recognized for white collar criminal defense; Evan for securities litigation; and Tom for commercial litigation and product liability litigation defense. Additionally, Sharon L Barbour, Winnifred A Lewis, and Nicole Dhir were recognized in the New York list of The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch. Sharon was recognized for white collar criminal defense; Winnifred for commercial litigation; and Nicole for commercial litigation and securities litigation.