Joanna K. Chan represents the world’s largest financial institutions and companies in all facets of complex commercial proceedings, including high-stakes class actions and criminal and regulatory investigations.
Joanna has successfully defended foreign and domestic clients in the financial services, health care, consumer products, and entertainment sectors at trial, in enforcement proceedings, in arbitration hearings, and on appeal. She has significant securities and employment litigation experience, including defending major international companies in putative class actions. Joanna also represents companies, corporate boards and their committees, and individual clients in regulatory proceedings, U.S. and cross-border corporate investigations, and corporate internal investigations.
Prior to joining the firm, Joanna was a litigation associate at O’Melveny & Myers LLP. She also previously worked at Oracle Corporation, where she focused on intellectual property and commercial contract matters. Joanna has been named one of New York’s Super Lawyers for securities litigation since 2020. Prior to that, Joanna was recognized by New York’s Super Lawyers as a Rising Star from 2014 to 2019. In 2022, Joanna was accepted into the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association’s Prospective Partners Program, a program dedicated to increasing the presence of Asian American and Pacific Islander partners at major law firms.
Joanna is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley School of Law and earned a B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of California, Berkeley. She is fluent in Cantonese and is a cofounder of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Joanna K. Chan represents the world’s largest financial institutions and companies in all facets of complex commercial proceedings, including high-stakes class actions and criminal…
University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D. 2008); University of California, Berkeley (B.A., summa cum laude, 2002)
New York State; California State; U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of California; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
Activities and Affiliations
Member, Federal Bar Council (Securities Litigation Committee)
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York
Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Super Lawyers named C&G cofounder Mark S. Cohen one of the Top 10 lawyers in the New York metropolitan area. Partners Jonathan S. Abernethy and Karen H. Bromberg have also been named to the Super Lawyers list of the Top 100 lawyers in the New York metropolitan area. Additionally, Karen has been recognized as one of the Top 50 women lawyers within the same region.
Super Lawyers and Rising Stars are annual lists of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Only 5 percent of the lawyers in each state are selected as Super Lawyers, and only 2.5 percent are selected as Rising Stars.
The C&G lawyers recognized on the New York Metro Super Lawyers list are:
- Jonathan S. Abernethy, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Kwaku Andoh, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Luke Appling, Civil Litigation: Defense
- Elizabeth Bernhardt, Business Litigation
- Colin C. Bridge, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Karen H. Bromberg, Intellectual Property
- Jason Brown, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Damir Cefo, Intellectual Property Litigation
- Joanna K. Chan, Securities Litigation
- Mark S. Cohen, Business Litigation
- S. Gale Dick, Business Litigation
- Christian R. Everdell, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Robert J. Gavigan, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Lawrence T. Gresser, Business Litigation
- Oliver S. Haker, Business Litigation
- Johannes Jonas, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nicholas J. Kaiser, Real Estate
- Jeffrey I. Lang, Civil Litigation: Defense
- David F. Lisner, Business Litigation
- Ellen Paltiel, General Litigation
- Douglas J. Pepe, Business Litigation
- Matthew V. Povolny, Business Litigation
- Nathaniel P. T. Read, Business Litigation
- Bonnie J. Roe, Securities & Corporate Finance
- Stephen M. Sinaiko, Business Litigation
- Mark Spatz, Civil Litigation: Defense
- C. Evan Stewart, Securities Litigation
- Daniel H. Tabak, Business Litigation
- Scott D. Thomson, Business Litigation
- Alexandra Wald, Business Litigation
The C&G lawyers recognized on the New York Metro Rising Stars list are:
- Sharon L. Barbour, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Randall W. Bryer, Business Litigation
- Shannon A. Daugherty, Business Litigation
- Drew S. Dean, General Litigation
- Jesse Greenwald, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Christine M. Jordan, General Litigation
- William Kalema, Business Litigation
- Sri Kuehnlenz, Civil Litigation: Defense
- Marvin J. Lowenthal, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Barbara K. Luse, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Benjamin Zhu, General Litigation
Christian R Everdell has been promoted to partner, and Joanna K Chan, Erica Lai, and David F Lisner have been promoted to counsel.
"Congratulations and thanks to each of these exceptional attorneys for their commitment to excellence, integrity, and superb client service. We are very fortunate to have them," said Managing Partner, Lawrence T Gresser.
As a result of the Delaware Chancery Court's decision in Kallick v. Sandridge Energy, Inc., corporate boards will now be hard-pressed to avoid approving the proposed slate of insurgent directors.