Johannes Jonas is head of the firm’s Paris office and has more than thirty years of experience managing sophisticated corporate transactions for European, Asian, and North American clients. His practice focuses on cross-border transactions and investments, mergers and acquisitions, employment law, and general commercial law.
Fluent in French, German, Dutch, and English, Johannes has extensive international experience. He maintains a significant base of clients worldwide, particularly in the automotive, life sciences, luxury goods, and technology sectors. Johannes is admitted to practice law in Paris, New York, and Germany.
Johannes has volunteered for many years with not-for-profit organizations and currently serves on the Board of the World Scout Foundation. Prior to joining Cohen & Gresser, Johannes was a partner at Dentons (formerly Salans) in Paris. He also previously practiced in the New York and Paris offices of Clearly, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton and the Frankfurt office of Bruckhaus Westrick Stegemann (today Freshfields).
He has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in France in the Corporate Law category, by Leaders League in the “Highly Recommended” category for M&A: Mid-Cap, and by New York’s Super Lawyers in the Mergers and Acquisitions category.
Johannes Jonas is head of the firm’s Paris office and has more than thirty years of experience managing sophisticated corporate transactions for European, Asian,…
University of Chicago Law School (LL.M. 1989); University of Munich (Dr. jur. 1987); IUHEI – Geneva, Switzerland (Certificate of European Studies 1983)
Paris; Berlin; New York State
Activities and Affiliations
Board Member, World Scout Foundation
Member, Verein Deutscher Juristentag
Represented a German media company in the MBO of a French subsidiary.
Represented a private equity fund in its purchase of the worldwide automotive business of a major American company (five jurisdictions, including France, UK, and Germany).
Represented a German fashion jewel producer in the sale of its assets to the French luxury group.Read More
Leaders League is an independent research and rating agency that provides comprehensive rankings and in-depth analysis of law firms and lawyers. The rankings are based on extensive research by an experienced team of analysts.
Ranked Practice Areas:
• Marketing, communication & digital – Advertising law & marketing
• Media & entertainment – Fashion Law
• Franck Le Mentec: Wealth management – Wealth tax: regulation and litigation; Tax law – LBO tax
• Guillaume Guérin: Compliance – Compliance program
• Johannes Jonas: Private Equity – Development capital transactions
• Loïc Henriot: Dispute resolution – Litigation with regulators and for listed operations; Compliance – Compliance program; Compliance – International investigation and internal investigation; Dispute resolution – Banking & Finance Litigation; Dispute resolution – Commercial litigation; Labor & Employment – Criminal labor law; Dispute resolution – White collar crime
• Muriel Goldberg-Darmon: Dispute resolution – Litigation with regulators and for listed operations; Compliance – Compliance program; Compliance – International investigation and internal investigation; Private Equity – Development capital transactions; Asset management – Asset management
Established in 2014, Cohen & Gresser’s Paris office provides comprehensive legal services for our clients, including advising on corporate, employment, tax, financial services, white collar defense, and litigation-related matters. Our Paris attorneys work closely with the lawyers in our other offices on cross-border transactions, investigations, and litigation, in order to provide superior service to French and international clients.
About The Best Lawyers in France The Best Lawyers in France were recognized by their peers in the legal industry for their professional excellence in their respective practice areas.