Johannes Jonas is head of the firm’s Paris office and has more than thirty years of experience managing sophisticated corporate transactions for European, Asian, and North American clients. His practice focuses on cross-border transactions and investments, mergers and acquisitions, employment law, and general commercial law.
Fluent in French, German, Dutch, and English, Johannes has extensive international experience. He maintains a significant base of clients worldwide, particularly in the automotive, life sciences, luxury goods, and technology sectors. Johannes is admitted to practice law in Paris, New York, and Germany.
Johannes has volunteered for many years with not-for-profit organizations and currently serves on the Board of the World Scout Foundation. Prior to joining Cohen & Gresser, Johannes was a partner at Dentons (formerly Salans) in Paris. He also previously practiced in the New York and Paris offices of Clearly, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton and the Frankfurt office of Bruckhaus Westrick Stegemann (today Freshfields).
He has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in France in the Corporate Law category, by Leaders League in the “Highly Recommended” category for M&A: Mid-Cap, and by New York’s Super Lawyers in the Mergers and Acquisitions category.
Johannes Jonas is head of the firm’s Paris office and has more than thirty years of experience managing sophisticated corporate transactions for European, Asian,…
University of Chicago Law School (LL.M. 1989); University of Munich (Dr. jur. 1987); IUHEI – Geneva, Switzerland (Certificate of European Studies 1983)
Paris; Berlin; New York State
Activities and Affiliations
Board Member, World Scout Foundation
Member, Verein Deutscher Juristentag
Represented a German media company in the MBO of a French subsidiary.
Represented a private equity fund in its purchase of the worldwide automotive business of a major American company (five jurisdictions, including France, UK, and Germany).
Represented a German fashion jewel producer in the sale of its assets to the French luxury group.Read More
Super Lawyers named C&G cofounder Mark S. Cohen one of the Top 10 lawyers in the New York metropolitan area. Partners Jonathan S. Abernethy and Karen H. Bromberg have also been named to the Super Lawyers list of the Top 100 lawyers in the New York metropolitan area. Additionally, Karen has been recognized as one of the Top 50 women lawyers within the same region.
Super Lawyers and Rising Stars are annual lists of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Only 5 percent of the lawyers in each state are selected as Super Lawyers, and only 2.5 percent are selected as Rising Stars.
The C&G lawyers recognized on the New York Metro Super Lawyers list are:
- Jonathan S. Abernethy, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Kwaku Andoh, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Luke Appling, Civil Litigation: Defense
- Elizabeth Bernhardt, Business Litigation
- Colin C. Bridge, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Karen H. Bromberg, Intellectual Property
- Jason Brown, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Damir Cefo, Intellectual Property Litigation
- Joanna K. Chan, Securities Litigation
- Mark S. Cohen, Business Litigation
- S. Gale Dick, Business Litigation
- Christian R. Everdell, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Robert J. Gavigan, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Lawrence T. Gresser, Business Litigation
- Oliver S. Haker, Business Litigation
- Johannes Jonas, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nicholas J. Kaiser, Real Estate
- Jeffrey I. Lang, Civil Litigation: Defense
- David F. Lisner, Business Litigation
- Ellen Paltiel, General Litigation
- Douglas J. Pepe, Business Litigation
- Matthew V. Povolny, Business Litigation
- Nathaniel P. T. Read, Business Litigation
- Bonnie J. Roe, Securities & Corporate Finance
- Stephen M. Sinaiko, Business Litigation
- Mark Spatz, Civil Litigation: Defense
- C. Evan Stewart, Securities Litigation
- Daniel H. Tabak, Business Litigation
- Scott D. Thomson, Business Litigation
- Alexandra Wald, Business Litigation
The C&G lawyers recognized on the New York Metro Rising Stars list are:
- Sharon L. Barbour, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Randall W. Bryer, Business Litigation
- Shannon A. Daugherty, Business Litigation
- Drew S. Dean, General Litigation
- Jesse Greenwald, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Christine M. Jordan, General Litigation
- William Kalema, Business Litigation
- Sri Kuehnlenz, Civil Litigation: Defense
- Marvin J. Lowenthal, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Barbara K. Luse, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Benjamin Zhu, General Litigation
Leaders League is an independent research and rating agency that provides comprehensive rankings and in-depth analysis of law firms and lawyers. The rankings are based on extensive research by an experienced team of analysts.
Ranked Practice Areas:
• Marketing, communication & digital – Advertising law & marketing
• Media & entertainment – Fashion Law
• Franck Le Mentec: Wealth management – Wealth tax: regulation and litigation; Tax law – LBO tax
• Guillaume Guérin: Compliance – Compliance program
• Johannes Jonas: Private Equity – Development capital transactions
• Loïc Henriot: Dispute resolution – Litigation with regulators and for listed operations; Compliance – Compliance program; Compliance – International investigation and internal investigation; Dispute resolution – Banking & Finance Litigation; Dispute resolution – Commercial litigation; Labor & Employment – Criminal labor law; Dispute resolution – White collar crime
• Muriel Goldberg-Darmon: Dispute resolution – Litigation with regulators and for listed operations; Compliance – Compliance program; Compliance – International investigation and internal investigation; Private Equity – Development capital transactions; Asset management – Asset management
Established in 2014, Cohen & Gresser’s Paris office provides comprehensive legal services for our clients, including advising on corporate, employment, tax, financial services, white collar defense, and litigation-related matters. Our Paris attorneys work closely with the lawyers in our other offices on cross-border transactions, investigations, and litigation, in order to provide superior service to French and international clients.
Effective September 12, 2015, the minimum number of shareholders in a French stock corporation (société anonyme or SA) has been reduced from seven to two. This modification is only applicable to privately held SAs, publicly traded SAs still being subject to the seven shareholder obligation. Read more
Johannes Jonas participated in a panel at a conference in Paris organized by Business France about business opportunities for French companies in the United States. The panel, entitled "How to Approach the U.S. Market," discussed business and legal considerations/implications when starting or developing a business in the United States.